Apply for Admission

Transfer Admission

Transfer applicants are students who have finished secondary school and completed some college study.

Transfer Student Deadlines ​
Complete Application Due*
(Common Application, Support Materials, and $75 Application Fee)​
March 15, 2016
Financial Assistance Application* March 15, 2016
​Admissions Decisions Sent
Candidate Reply Date*
​June 1, 2016
*Materials must be received by the dates listed​​.

Application Instructions

Submit the Application for Admission

  • Washington University accepts either the Common Application or the Coalition Applicatio and requires a few simple supplemental questions (no supplemental essay).
  • The Common Application may be submitted electronically at The Coalition Application may be submitted electronically at

Submit the required $75 nonrefundable application fee.

  • You may pay by credit card when you submit your application for admission.
  • Please do not send cash.

Log in to the WashU Pathway to check your progress.

Instructions for establishing a WashU Pathway account will be sent to the email address you provide in your application.

The WashU Pathway is our online application management system. Using the Pathway, you can:

  • See what pieces of your application we have on file
  • Verify your application data
  • Check the status of your application for financial aid

The WashU Pathway is the only source of accurate information regarding the status of your application to Washington University; we expect applicants to check it regularly.

Submit support materials.

In addition to the application forms and essay, you must submit the following supporting materials by the deadline:

  • College Transcript
    Please ask a dean or other college official at each institution you have previously attended, including any attended during summer session, to send a transcript with official seal of all college work to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. You should send a copy of the catalog description for any course whose nature is not immediately clear from the course title and number. The descriptions will help us determine transfer credit, as well as admissibility to certain undergraduate degree programs.
  • High School Transcript
    Please ask the high school from which you graduated to send a complete, final transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If you attended more than one high school, please ask each school to send a transcript. Applicants who have completed the General Education Development (GED) test must send a copy of their certificate.
  • College Instructor Evaluation
    Please ask a college instructor who has taught you in an academic subject for at least one full semester to submit the College Instructor Evaluation. An evaluation from a faculty member in your proposed field of study is particularly helpful.
  • College Report
    The College Report should be submitted by the registrar or other college official at your current institution who has access to your disciplinary and academic records.
  • SAT/ACT scores
    If you took either the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and/or the American College Test (ACT) during high school, you must submit the test score results as part of your application. If you did not take either test in high school, please contact your application processor. Tests taken during college are inadmissible. The scores must be mailed directly to Washington University from the testing service. Use SAT code number 6929 and ACT code number 2386.
  • TOEFL or IELTS (for students whose first language is not English)
    See our English Testing Requirements page for more information.
  • Portfolio
    A portfolio is required for students applying to the College of Art or the College of Architecture. For details, visit the Portfolio Guidelines page.
  • Mid-Term Report
    If you are in your first year of college, you must present at least one completed semester of full-time college work with your application for transfer admission or submit a completed Mid-Term Report.

Apply for Financial Aid.

If you wish to be considered for financial aid based on need, you must submit separate applications. For more information please visit the Financial Aid for Transfer Students page.

Apply for Academic Scholarships.

If you wish to be considered for merit-based scholarships, please visit the Scholarships for Transfer Students page for deadlines and more information.