Love to write? The Howard Nemerov Writing Scholars Program is
designed for students with a true dedication to writing and
exceptional writing talent. Scholars participate in a series of
educational experiences designed to meet the needs and
interests of writers, including enrollment in the Howard
Nemerov Writing Seminar, submission of their work to
campus publications, attendance at and participation in
writing-related social activities, and a commitment to earn
a minor in English writing.
- Up to 10 $3,000 scholarships
- Renewable annually, as long as the scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree.
Students who apply to the College of Arts & Sciences may apply for the Nemerov Writing Scholars Program. A separate application is required.
Nemerov Scholars generally score in the top ranges on the SATs or ACTs. Most are in the top 10 percent of their classes in high school and have followed an extremely rigorous curriculum. They do not need to be English majors.
Notification for Finalists
Finalists will be notified by mid-March and invited to visit campus for an interview with the director of the program.
To apply for the Howard Nemerov Writing Scholars Program:
- Submit an application for admission to the Class of 2023.
- Log in to your
WashU Pathway account to submit the separate application for the Nemerov Writing Scholars Program.
- Submit a writing portfolio (two samples of your creative writing, preferably in different genres)
- The application and portfolio must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on January 2, 2019.