Can an applicant who has been admitted defer enrollment?

WashU recognizes that a small number of first-year students each year may request to defer their admission for a year and take a gap year to complete military service, religious commitments, a well-defined, substantial personal growth opportunity (including travel), or for other personal reasons. Students are unable to enroll full-time in another institution during this time.

Deferral requests are evaluated by the Admissions Office on a case-by-case basis, and admitted students must complete and submit their Acceptance Form and Enrollment Deposit prior to requesting a gap year.

Students must email the Admissions Office ( to request a gap year by May 15, 2021. Students will be notified of the outcome of their requests by June 1, 2021.

Requests are granted for one year. Requests for a second year are also granted on a case-by-case basis, typically in the event of compulsory military or religious service.

Please note that the Admissions Office considers all deferral requests individually, taking into account the needs of each student. Students and families with questions/concerns about the gap year process or with extenuating circumstances should contact the Admissions Office (

If you need to request a gap year after the May 15 deadline, please contact the Admissions Office for assistance.

Will coursework transfer if I am enrolled part-time at another university?

Students do not typically attend another university during a gap year, however, if they do complete coursework they must contact their dean’s office at WashU to have an assessment of any credits earned to see if they will transfer. The dean’s office has the final say on transferability of any credits earned.