Students play a critical role in bringing our community to life for prospective students and families!
If you’re interested in sharing your story and your enthusiasm for WashU, these are the opportunities for you.
Volunteers can participate in a number of ways—both virtually and in person (when we can safely resume on-campus visits).
Current activities include:
- Leading virtual tours
- Conducting virtual interviews
- Participating in virtual student panels or presentations
- Participating in virtual high school meetings
- Calling, emailing and writing notes to students
As part of your volunteer experience, you will:
- become part of our admissions and aid team
- participate in training sessions that will cover the basics as well as specialized instruction for some volunteer roles
- receive WashU SWAG exclusive to our student volunteers
- have a ton of fun and meet people from every corner of campus
Please reach out to Kendall Spina (KMSpina@wustl.edu) for more information!
Admissions Interns are the student face of the university to prospective students. The Academic Year Internship Program in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions provides a paid professional experience for Washington University students to assist with daily campus informational programming, lead Admissions related current-student organizations, and gain exposure to the various functions of admissions at a highly selective institution. The internship provides a mix of key responsibilities that work with prospective students and families, and project work with specific leadership roles. The internship will operate in a hybrid-model, tasking students with a combination of in-person and virtual responsibilities.
- Facilitating virtual prospective student interviews and coordinating interview breakout rooms
- Assisting with special virtual events
- Engaging with prospective students electronically via email, Zoom, phone, etc.
- Administrative tasks as assigned
As University policy and CDC safety guidelines allow, in-person responsibilities may include:
- Staffing Sumers Welcome Center and other visit areas on campus
- Assisting with special visit days in the Admissions Office and other events
Interns will be exposed to the work of a variety of areas within the Admissions Office. After introductions, all interns will hold a liaison/leadership position in addition to their key responsibilities that aid in visit operations within WashU Admissions.
- Marketing/Recruitment for Admissions Ambassadors- organize/lead information sessions for interested students and run application process for potential new members.
- Selections- organize/lead interview and selection of new Admissions Ambassadors
- Training/Examination- organize/lead all trainings required for new Admissions Ambassadors and evaluate new members for readiness
- Management and Operations- organize/assign operational schedules and general body meetings for Admissions Ambassadors. Manage Admissions Ambassadors calendars.
- Visit Experience and Event Management Liaisons- organize current student staffing needs for Admissions events and lead some events as needed
- Hiring preference will be given to students who can fulfill the role in a hybrid capacity
- WashU Class of 2022, 2023, or 2024
- Good academic and judicial standing with the university (your application gives us permission to check your standing)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking in both small and large groups
- Commitment to providing the highest level of customer service to every prospective student/family
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is willing to jump-in and assist however is needed
- Enthusiasm about the university and what it offers students
- Interest in exploring higher education as a potential career field
Please reach out to Kendall Spina (KMSpina@wustl.edu).