Required Portfolios

College of Art and College of Architecture

First-year and transfer applicants to the College of Art are required to submit a portfolio of their work. Portfolios are also encouraged for students applying to the College of Architecture.

Scholarships in Art and Architecture

If you would like to be considered for the Conway/Proetz Scholarships in Art or the James W. Fitzgibbon Scholarships in Architecture, your portfolio must be submitted in digital format.

There are several ways to submit your portfolio:

  • Our representatives attend many National Portfolio Days held in major cities throughout the country, and we welcome the opportunity to review your portfolio at these events.
  • Schedule a visit to WashU and have your work reviewed in the College of Art or Architecture.
  • Submit your digital portfolio using SlideRoom. Instructions for submitting your portfolio using SlideRoom are available on both the Common Application and the Coalition Application.
Slide Room Requirements

10-20 pieces of recent work, which may include drawings, two- and three-dimensional pieces, or photographs.

The SlideRoom form allows you to include pertinent information about each piece including title of work, medium, dimensions, and date completed.

If submitting an architecture portfolio, you may include examples of drafting and CAD, but we will place emphasis on projects that show a range of creative and spatial thinking.

Supplemental Portfolios

For applicants to the College of Arts & Sciences, McKelvey School of Engineering, and Olin Business School: If you decide to submit a supplement (athletic, performing arts, research, etc.), SlideRoom will charge you a $10 fee for each submission. These supplements are not required. We encourage you to present yourself the best you can within the format of your application for admission, namely in the extracurricular, essay, and additional information sections.

Please note: The SlideRoom fee will automatically be waived if you qualify for an application fee waiver on the Common Application. If you are using the Coalition Application, and you qualify for an application fee waiver, please contact your application processor for instructions.