We want you to have a voice in the application process!
Interview and videos are optional and not required as part of the admissions application process. We offer these opportunities as a way for first-year applicants to tell us more about themselves.
UPDATE 1/5/21: At this time, we have reached capacity and are unable to offer additional optional virtual interviews. However, students applying as a first-year student for the Fall of 2021 have the option to submit a 90-second video via the Pathway by January 10 (Early Decision II), January 31 (Regular Decision), or March 31 (Transfer).
Don’t be concerned if you’re unable to have an interview—it won’t impact your application.
Email email@example.com if you have questions for a current WashU Student. Our students are eager to respond!
Virtual interviews are casual conversations with current undergraduate students or admissions staff that last approximately 15 minutes. Interviews are conducted via Zoom. You’ll be able to share information about yourself and ask questions about your interviewer’s experience at WashU.
In addition to virtual interviews with current students and admissions staff, we offer a limited number of virtual alumni interviews to first-year Early Decision I and II, and Regular Decision applicants through our Alumni and Parents Admission Program (APAP).
APAP is unable to take direct requests for alumni interviews. Once you submit an application for admission, APAP will pass your contact information on to alumni volunteers. Interviews are casual conversations with WashU undergraduate alumni that last about 20 minutes. You’ll be able to share information about yourself and ask questions about your interviewer’s experience at WashU. Our volunteers are excited to share their WashU experiences with you!
The volunteer will contact you by email or phone to set up an interview at a convenient time. Interviews are conducted via video conference (e.g. Zoom, Skype, Face Time) or telephone, depending on your preference. Interviews are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Availability of APAP interviews is limited and we are not able to offer alumni interviews to all applicants. Priority for interviews will be given to applications received by October 25 (Early Decision I) or December 15 (Early Decision II and Regular Decision).
If you are an international student interested in submitting an interview to WashU we will accept admissions interviews from InitialView.
High school seniors applying as first-year students for the fall of 2021 will see the option to upload a 90-second video when they log in to the WashU Pathway.
This video is not intended to be a professional-quality production or rehearsed audition. Simply capture a quick video of yourself (cell phone is fine) telling us about something important to you.
Ideas to consider
- Do you have a hobby you want to show us?
- What you have learned about yourself?
- When do you feel like your most authentic self?
- Where do you spend your free time?
- Why do you want to attend WashU?
- Anything else would you like us to know about YOU!
The video allows you to add another dimension to your application – something that we might not learn by reading your transcript or your personal statement. Be creative, be yourself, and have fun with it!
And if you don’t want to submit a video, that’s OK. Applicants will not be penalized for opting out of submitting a video. It is an optional video (and we mean optional).
Please note that the video does not replace the SlideRoom portfolio requirement for applicants to the College of Art.
How to upload your video
You will find a link to upload the optional video below the Application Checklist in the WashU Pathway.
- While videos submitted by the January 4 application deadline are appreciated, submissions must be received by January 10 (Early Decision II), January 31 (Regular Decision), or March 31 (Transfer).
- We know you have a lot to tell us, but please limit your video to 90 seconds.
- Only upload one video.
- Click on the “Edit Portfolio” link then select the “Upload Media” tab. At the bottom of the screen you will see a button to “Select Files”. Select your video then click the “Start Upload” button.
- Videos must be in one of the following formats: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, or .wmv. (Please note that Apple ProRes is not currently supported. If uploading a .mov, please use an alternate codec.)
- Use a supported Internet browser – Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- Uploading may take anywhere from seconds to several hours depending upon the size of the file and your connection speed. If your file is large, we recommend that you upload from a wired connection where possible.
We asked a few of our admissions officers to create their own 90-second videos!