Two opportunities to share your story
We want to get to know you better throughout the application process, so we offer high school seniors the option to have a virtual interview and/or to submit a 90-second video.
At WashU, we offer interviews both through the Admissions Office with current students, and through the Alumni and Parents Admission Program (APAP) with alumni volunteers. Interviews with current WashU students are available to any interested student beginning the summer before the senior year. Interviews with WashU alumni volunteers are offered to students who apply for admission, beginning in the fall. We are unable to provide more than one interview to any prospective student, and not all students will be able to interview due to the limited number of interviewers. Don’t be concerned if you’re unable to have an interview—it won’t negatively affect your chances for admission.
Interviews allow you to spend 15-20 minutes chatting one-on-one with either a current student or alumnus of WashU. These casual conversations are an opportunity for students to share any information that they feel was not captured in their applications or to highlight any relevant information. Interviewers are not looking for any specific information about the applicant; rather, they seek to have a conversation about the applicant’s thoughts and interests. Each interview will be unique based on the interviewer and the student. We hope students will use the interview to learn more about WashU from a member of its community. While the primary purpose is informational, your interviewer will write a summary of your discussion that will be included in your application file. This will allow your admissions officer to learn even more about you.
The last day for EDI students to have an optional interview is November 15.
Please note that interviews are not available for transfer applicants.
Virtual interviews with a current student
Available to high school seniors. Interviews are conducted via Zoom.
Interviews with alumni
Available to Early Decision I and II, and Regular Decision applicants through our Alumni and Parents Admission Program (APAP).
APAP is unable to take direct requests for alumni interviews. Once you submit an application for admission, APAP will pass your contact information on to alumni volunteers if available.
The volunteer will contact you by email or phone to set up an interview at a convenient time. Interviews are conducted via video conference (e.g. Zoom, Skype, Face Time), by telephone, or in-person, depending on preference and availability.
APAP alumni interviews—or, why is this WashU alum contacting me?
Video interviews for international students
If you are an international student interested in submitting an interview to WashU we will accept admissions interviews from InitialView or Vericant.
All applicants have the option to upload a 90-second video to help the Admissions Office get to know you better. This video is not intended to be a professional-quality production or rehearsed audition. Simply capture a quick video of yourself (cell phone is fine) telling us about something important to you.
Ideas to consider
- Do you have a hobby you want to show us?
- What you have learned about yourself?
- When do you feel like your most authentic self?
- Where do you spend your free time?
- Why do you want to attend WashU?
- Anything else would you like us to know about YOU!
The video allows you to add another dimension to your application – something that we might not learn by reading your transcript or your personal statement. Be creative, be yourself, and have fun with it!
And if you don’t want to submit a video, that’s OK. Applicants will not be penalized for opting out of submitting a video. It is an optional video (and we mean optional).
Please note that the video does not replace the SlideRoom portfolio requirement for applicants to the College of Art.
How to upload your video
You will find a link to upload the optional video below the Application Checklist in the WashU Pathway.
- EDI students who wish to submit a video have until November 15 to upload it in the WashU Pathway.
- We know you have a lot to tell us, but please limit your video to 90 seconds.
- Only upload one video.
- Click on the “Edit Portfolio” link then select the “Upload Media” tab. At the bottom of the screen you will see a button to “Select Files”. Select your video then click the “Start Upload” button.
- Videos must be in one of the following formats: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, or .wmv. (Please note that Apple ProRes is not currently supported. If uploading a .mov, please use an alternate codec.)
- Use a supported Internet browser – Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- Uploading may take anywhere from seconds to several hours depending upon the size of the file and your connection speed. If your file is large, we recommend that you upload from a wired connection where possible.
We asked our Admissions Interns to create sample 90-second videos.